There's No Place Like Home

Last winter I fell in love with an island in the Indian Ocean. I returned to the west coast of Canada to sell my house, pack my bags and kiss my family and friends farewell.

Now I am living in Ubud, where East meets West and a host of people from all corners of the Earth are seeking daily to live a balance between the two.

This is one of those places where a body can stay for awhile and still get the impression you are travelling. A place that is at once enchanting, frightening, beautiful, raw, vibrant and throbbing with life. A place on the outer fringes of my comfort zone.

Silahkan, I invite you to join me.


Oct 27, 2009

Oct 16th- Clutter Bug


Living out of a backpack again is opening my eyes wide.

How is it that 3500 miles away I have, in my name, an entire house full of crap? How many times already on this trip have I realized I brought more t-shirts than I need (three would have been fine) and an extra sweater? But I remember being so sure before I left that I would be in the markets buying clothes the first week because I's run out.

And it's freeing. That's the greatest realization- I am so absolutely free without having to look after all of my things. No clothes to wash and dry and fold and put away. I don't have enough with me for it to ever become a mess to clean. Here's the kicker- I'm not loosing track of anything either, because I only have two or three items to keep an eye on.

Then the idea hits me.

I think that my life is too cluttered to know where to bring it next.

I am so heavy with all of my possessions and desire for money and comfort and “stuff”. My little wings are not strong enough to lift all of my belongings and soar. Just as wings are not given the strength to carry another, so they cannot carry all of a person's worldly accumulations. I have strength enough to carry myself high, high up to see over my life and the ways that I might travel. But with all of these belongings....dead weight. I sit on the ground and I dust my pretty things.

When I return home to my half renovated house, it is time to take stock of my possessions. It's time to cull the herd- to give away things I no longer use, and more importantly, to part with things I don't need. For the journey I am heading on, I will need to pack light, and I might be gone a long time. I don't want to return home to boxes of dusty belongings and think, “Why did I save that? Some one else could have been using it this whole time....”

I think that the next big step will be to stop buying things. I suppose that by going through each item that I own, I will be able to have a proper inventory. Maybe after labouring to cut my purses in half I will be less likely to want to buy a new one. That need I feel every time I see something I “have to have”- what is that? It seems so foreign where I sit right now, staring off out over the ocean, but I know myself well enough to know that with a return home, that need will also return.

And with that fix, the guilt that follows it. And with that guilt, the purposeful forgetting of whatever it is I had to have. And then I buy more. And more. And more.

When what I really need is a walk in the woods. What my soul is asking for is not a new hoodie, but time of solitude and meditation and communion Which is why in this place, when I am so full, I can't imagine filling my self by shopping.

So then, when my house is in order, I would like to commit to walking in the woods again, chasing the trail of my Muse. I wonder about this. It seems more likely that my Muse has never moved an inch, but these possessions, these heavy weights, have built a thick wall around my consciousness, and I can no longer hear the voice of my heart.

I remember so vividly the process of clearing my head when I spent my one night in the Cheakamus in June. The entire walk in to my campsite, the gibberish in my head swarmed about like mosquitoes, buzzing in my ears and making it impossible to channel pure thought. A whole night of solitude and silence, and my system was almost in....shock. Small pieces of consciousness, but no concise train of understanding. And then, half way back on the trail the following morning, and BAM! Suddenly the clouds parted, and the sun shone, and the writing flowed from me as it hasn't since I was a small child.

While the rain beat down on Cheakamus Lake, I set up my small tarp over a stump and wrote until my hand cramped. Hours passed by this way, grey and cold and joyful. I remember eating trail mix bars and drinking coffee from my thermos and quietly thanking the voice of my heart for dragging me out into the woods.

Just as I'm thanking it now for dragging me to Central America.

“...be herenow, learn to transform your poisons into honey, share your positivity and be nothing."

-Osho, “Life, Love, Laughter”

3 comments:

  1. Wow Megs, reading your blog was an eerie comparison to several journal entries I have written during the last few months. I am finding myself again as well. I have been searching for the girl I was ten years ago.. Fearless, Adventurous. I lost her somewhere along the path of trying to grow up. Buying my house, accumulating more crap than I ever thought I would have, trying to maintain a career job...I couldnt pinpoint where I lost myself, I just know I have. So I am back to work at a ski hill this winter, living in an RV in the woods with my dog. Im getting rid of everything I cant fit in a few bags in my truck. Im renting out the rooms in my house and setting out on the first adventure I have had in years. And I am starting to feel really alive again. Good luck on your journey, I will be thinking of you as I embark on mine. Perhaps soon we will cross paths and compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Mack- I hope your RV finds its way to me, my friend. It would be so grand to chat it out over some vino. It's been too long. Thank you for your encouragement- I'll be holding you in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah babe !!!! I'm so proud of you and i'm overjoyed that you are now sharing your beautiful writing. I'm looking forward to reading some more... and I encourage you deeply to keep on following what makes you feel good. I love you very much XXX Thank you for coming in El Salvador.

    ReplyDelete